KNOW YOUR GREEN
Do you know where your money is going? Do you keep track of what you spend? Do you tell your money how it will be utilized?Many of us have never had a positive relationship with our money and unfortunately, we have had no control over over our finances. Well you are in luck! Project GREEN is here to help you get into the driver’s seat and regain control!
Project GREEN has developed a budget spreadsheet to assist you with “Knowing Your GREEN.”
Budgeting helps you identify the amount of GREEN you have coming in. You are able to track your expenses and visually see where your GREEN is going and how much is left over each month. A budget spreadsheet is a very helpful tool used for your finances and now that you can see your GREEN, you will be able to set SMART goals, make a plan, adjust your habits, and gain control!
When was the last time you pulled your credit report? Your credit report is a great way to identify your debt to income ratio and will help you get a better grasp on your GREEN. This will also be a very important tool to help you set your budgeting goals by tallying up your debt and making a realistic plan for how to gain financial freedom. You are entitled to a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) once per year. You are able to request all three reports at once, or space them out throughout the year.
AnnualCreditReport.com is the only website that is government authorized to provide you with free copies of your credit report.
Do you qualify for programs in Grand Rapids to help you find the money you didn’t even know you have?
- 2-1-1 Programs: KENT COUNTY TAX CREDIT COALITION[Click Here]
- Every year millions of dollars in tax refunds and credits go unclaimed by those who need them the most. Through 15 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites throughout our community, the Kent County Tax Credit Coalition helps working individuals and families achieve economic success through free tax services and financial literacy courses.
- DO YOU KNOW ALICE? Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed[Click Here]
- Standing for Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed – ALICE represents those in our communities who are working yet still struggling to make ends meet. ALICE households earn more than the U.S. poverty level, but less than the basic cost of living for the county. Combined with the number of people living at or below the poverty line, ALICE equals the total population struggling to afford basic needs.
- Did you know that the State of Michigan has a site where your GREEN can be sitting unclaimed waiting to be found? Visit this site Unclaimed GREEN-State of Michigan and FIND YOUR GREEN![Click Here]
- 50 percent toward fixed costs. Fixed costs are expenses that don’t vary and that you must pay every month. Rent, student loans, car payments, utilities, gym memberships, Netflix, and tuition all fall into this category.
- 20 percent toward financial goals. Your goals might include paying off high-interest debt, saving for retirement, or creating an emergency fund.
- 30 percent toward discretionary spending. Flexible spending includes things like groceries, gas, eating out, entertainment, hobbies, and so on.